The Citrix XenServer 5.6 Beta is out and I would like to update one of my most popular blog posts. Here is instructions and also a YouTube video on how to install Citrix XenServer 5.6 to an external USB drive.
Mistyping is very common and I would recommend using the <TAB> key to auto fill. I have also included the DIR command so you will see the filename. This will make it easier when type pluss you will know how to do this for further releases.
- Disconnect or disable all hard drives except the external USB drive
- Download the Citrix XenServer 5.6 ISO
- Boot and install XenServer 5.6 on your external USB drive, see installation video here
- When the installation is finished, boot on the XenServer CD and press “F2″ when you see “Welcome to XenServer”
Command lines :
- mkdir /tmp/sda
- mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /tmp/sda
- chmod -R 664 /sys/block
- cp -R /sys/block/ /tmp/sda/sys/block/
- chroot /tmp/sda
- cd /boot
- mv initrd-22.214.171.124-0.1.1.xs5.5.901.760.1073xen.img initrd-126.96.36.199-0.1.1.xs5.5.901.760.1073xen.img.old
- mkinitrd –with-usb initrd-188.8.131.52-0.1.1.xs5.5.901.760.1073xen.img 184.108.40.206-0.1.1.xs5.5.901.760.1073xen
ScreenShot of Commands :